Various homeowners may decide at some point in time to pursue repairs and alterations to increase the value of their property. Others do so out of obligation due to damages, wear and tear, or for cosmetic reasons. Ashland Oregon real estate experts will be more than impressed if a homeowner has taken the necessary steps to enhance the value of their property before approaching them for assistance in selling their home.
Before you jump the gun and undergo costly expenses to improve the looks of your property, you need to ponder over the pros and cons of each endeavor, related to alterations or repairs.
Let’s have a look at some of these and whether it is a viable exercise or not:
- Cosmetic changes: This would include items to improve the overall appearance of your property, which are usually minor by nature, such as painting the exteriors of your house just to change the look, color, or theme. If it is needed because of structural damage such as water damages, then is it a different story altogether. It all depends on whether you plan to keep your home or if you want to sell it in the foreseeable future.
- Kitchen: Is your kitchen in need of renovation or remodeling due to structural reasons, or to improve its appearance? How much you intend spending on remodeling must be put into perspective. Refrain from excessive spending if you are looking at a reasonable R.O.I (Return on Investment). While homeowners can spend what they want, they should maintain a realistic perspective of the value of their home to potential buyers.
- Bathrooms: For what reason do you want to upgrade or renovate your bathrooms? Compare the options as well as the alternatives, including the need or want for items such as bath fitter would make sense as opposed to complete rebuilding. Upgrading your bathroom may or may not make financial sense. Speak to your Ashland Oregon estate agents about the viability of having your bathrooms upgraded or not.
- HVAC: What is the overall condition of your HVAC like? Should you change it by converting from oil to gas? Be sure to consider any decisions to do with conversions, thoroughly and carefully. If you want to install a central aircon into your home,
you would need to either opt for the convention route, or the ductless one. In this case, you must consider space, costs, economies as well as the positives versus the negatives before doing so.
- Grounds maintenance: How much are you prepared to commit to grounds maintenance concerning trees, landscaping, plants, bushes, flowers, and so forth. If you are thinking of selling, then you need to pay attention to curb appeal.
What we get from this is that homeowners have options regarding the best way to proceed to do with home repairs and other alternatives. It is a case of knowing what you need or want before considering any changes.
Maybe you just bought your first home, which is your single biggest financial asset. Surely it makes sense to protect as well as maintain and enhance the value of your property. To do so, you need to commit to a plan that is bent on improving the overall appearance and ensure it remains attractive and well maintained.
When it comes to the exteriors of your home, you should create a particular schedule to inspect certain areas of the exteriors of your house. The best way to approach this and carry it out successfully is to do so seasonally where you would inspect specific areas on specific dates. No doubt, this would include checking the doors and windows to ensure they are not only properly sealed, but, also, clean and neat. One needs to consider how often the windows will be cleaned and when the exterior walls will get a solid cleaning where debris, dead insects, and spider webs get washed away. What about power washing a vinyl siding regularly?
One of the sensibilities of home ownership is to have a well maintained, and taken care of the property as it creates far less stress. In the long run, it equates to lower costs and expenses. This is why it makes sense to regularly inspect concrete areas like exterior foundations and patios to establish if these are in need of sealing and repairs to avoid major repairs down the line.
In all cases, you should seek a word of advice from a reputed Ashland real estate agency, in regarding the upkeep and upgrading of your property before selling it.